Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Finding my Internal Fashionista

I have never been a fashionista - never paid attention to current styles or knew much about designers. Probably because I couldn't afford to keep up. I usually just went to the Mall Department Stores and shopped the sale racks, trying to strike a balance between what I thought looked good on the mannequins and what I could actually buy. And I never accessorized! I grew up a tomboy (usually carrying a ball or glove instead of a purse) and jewelry just wasn't an option. I would often see other ladies with wrists stacked with baubles and bangles and think, "she looks really great, but I could never pull off a look like that"! In some ways, I felt like Anne Hathaway's character in "The Devil Wears Prada." Not that I laughed at or despised the fashion industry, just that I didn't really fit in. Then all that changed last November. When I opened my consignment shop, I was constantly surrounded by great clothes in an unlimited variety of styles and tastes. I began to try things on that I would have never attempted before. Some nights, I locked the doors at 7pm and stayed another hour having my own personal fashion show. I also began researching styles and trends, reading fashion blogs and learning about designers. I was after all, now a part of the fashion world (albeit, a very small part). I was being asked daily for advice on what shoes to wear with these pants and what top to wear with this skirt. It became my duty to learn as much as I could (and to look the part while I was at it). I learned that my personal style is a combination of classic and boho-chic (although one quiz labeled me as "subtly sexy" ) hmmm, I think I like that one. Anyway, I am finding that taking a few fashion risks is fun. And trying new outfits has had a surprising effect on my self confidence. It's like I've been on my own personal episode of "What Not to Wear" and come out with a whole new attitude along with my whole new wardrobe. And this is exactly what I want to share with other women. The fact that a great variety of designer styles is made available to women at a fraction of mall prices means that everyone can have this experience. We can all afford to own great clothes, without waiting for them to hit the clearance rack. Not sure about your personal style? I found Pinterest to be a valuable tool in determining what appealed to me and gave me a starting point. Follow me at http://pinterest.com/tammyberning/ Or just come see me. At Ms. Mulligan's, I have a variety of great styles - vintage, classic, preppy, boho-chic, edgy, hippie, futuristic, etc. I'd love to help you find your internal fashionista!

My Style - Boho Chic or Subtly Sexy?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment