Thursday, May 10, 2012

I can say no, I just choose not to!

You know, I think we people pleasers get a bad rap.  In fact, my aversion to "no" has earned me the title of certified doormat from many of my well meaning friends and family members.  They think I say yes way too often.  That I need to learn to say no.  But the truth is, I CAN say no (like when the guy with the truck full of frozen meats offers me a great deal on steaks, or when my 16 year old wants to go to a party where there are no adult chaperones)...I just have a hard time when someone needs something I can easily provide, or when saying no would hurt someones feelings.  In the case of my store, I have a no return policy.  But when a customer bought a top from me, then discovered later that it didn't go with the pants she was matching it with, I made an exception and allowed her to return it.  She was ecstatic and very pleasantly surprised that I said yes.  And what did it really cost me?  We're talking about a shirt that was maybe $7 or $8.  But what if I had said no?  Well I would have stood my ground, upheld store policy, and proved to everyone that I am no doormat (and I'd be $8 richer right now, woohoo)!  I would have also had a customer leave my store on a sour note.  The fact is, really, that I say yes because I want to, because I choose to.  And yes, sometimes it is at my own detriment or inconvenience.  I have accepted clothes on consignment many times that I had to bring home and wash first to get a stain out.  But it's okay.  I am rewarded every day with happy consignors and customers who tell people how they are treated in my store.  And, I am sure in their conversations, the words pushover or doormat never come up.  I am neither of those after all.  I am a people pleaser, and proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment